Tuesday 22 May 2012

Context of Practice // End of module evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I have learnt many new things in this module,  but when I think of skills, the main area is analysis, I have learnt more of the importance of analysing mine and other peoples work, it helps with creative development of projects both from finding faults in your own work and gaining inspiration from others not always in a positive way, breaking down and looking at individual aspects of a piece can allow you to learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of your peers.
I have also learnt alot more about paper cutting and practiced those skills, and hope to develop them as i know they still need work, I also quite enjoyed creating the net and creating the folder and cut outs for my publication, I had a vision when I decided on the concept and it ended up looking pretty much as i had imagined it, so I was quite happy about that.

2. What approaches to/ methods of design production have developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Well i have learnt about the importance of time management, again, or lack of it. I know I could have put more development time into my publication, but it is a goal i aim to improve next year and really sort my task management skills out.
Researching into paper cutting history has helped me develop a new perspective on design, I think there are alot of opportunities to use paper manipulation in future briefs as i think it is an area that can be explored.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/ will you capitalise on these?

I think I have gained a skill in breaking down a piece of work and looking at each individual piece separately, as well as the importance of looking at other designers, before this module I didn't really search many graphic design blogs, but now I get creative review every month and always go to blogs to get inspiration, and it always surprises me how quickly you can get a good idea from seeing another piece of design. i will continue widening my lift of graphic designers, it was quite useful to have the red book as well, by keeping a log you always have a source for inspiration.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

In the essay i had trouble with using quotes, I am not used to using quotes in the things I write, especially when it is a new topic and I'm trying to find specific quotes that will help my argument. I think after having a conversation with a peer the other day that i need to use the quotes as a foundation for my essay, in the future it will probably be more beneficial if i find a large amount of quotes that could help in every area of my argument before I even start writing my essay. This way it would avoid the problem of having to search for specific quotes that will fit into an essay i have already written.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

- Research  as many quotes as possible to support any future essay and write the essay around the quotes rather than vice versa.

- Spend more time developing written and visual content for future briefs 

- Use research as a tool for inspiration for every brief,  I want to ensure i keep logging all the graphic designers I like and find inspirational, as well as their contact details, in case I want to in the future.

- Use the skills I have learnt more effectively in design briefs, work and develop at them until I am fully confident with the finished article, this also is down to time management which will need to improve in the second year.

- I won't use an essay as an excuse to b**** about fine artists.

6. how would you grade yourself on the following areas? 

Attendance - 4
Punctuality - 4
Motivation -3
Commitment -3
Quantity of work produced - 3
Quality of work produced - 3
Contribution to the group - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment