Tuesday 15 May 2012

Context of Practice // Publication development

I spent some time trying to work out how the wings of the net would fold to allow to publication to close and fasten properly.
I produced the design you can see below, I revolves around the center piece of the net that is just above A4 size, with diagonal wings off each edge of the folder, so when they fold in they fill the A4 area with no over laps.
I then created the strips on each wing, these have 2 outer strips on one side of the net, and on the opposite that would contain only one strip in the center.


Once cut out and folded this is actually my desired result, I wasn't expecting to create the exact folder first time, but this works very well, and I am quite confident with the aesthetic value
 

I wanted to then focus on what the outer of the folder would look like, I would need the title of the publication on their as you will not be able to see the inner sheets.
I would need quite a bold typeface to be used if i wanted to cut it out, I thought this may be a decent opportunity to use a typeface that I produced this year so the design will definitely personal to me.

I took the typeface I produced for the initial Illustrator brief and played around to see if I could create a decent layout for the type. After I produced what you can see below, I thought this would be a decent option, as all the aspects of the lettering is blocked, so will be able to be cut out easily while still remaining to create a decent size view hole into the publication below.

From past experience and viewing other examples of this, I really like the aesthetics of black/ dark outer packaging, with cut outs enabling you to see colour within.
At this stage I have decided that the outer folder will be produced from plain black card. This will allow me to produce the cut out without relying on print so this element of the publication will not be affected by print availability.

Engineering does not look as nice I dont think, it seems too long and the typeface I have produced doesn't really uit the word. Also as this word will be so large to bother be readable and fit onto the front of the folder, it may effect the durability of the design by making the folder too weak with too many areas cut out.

No comments:

Post a Comment