Saturday 21 December 2013

CoP3 // Primary Research

I want to aim to get quite a lot of the information I require from professional designers who work in the field design for music.

To gain this information I intend to perform a series of email interviews with as many designers who are willing  to respond. This information will mainly aid the later sections of my essay that cover the modern designers role in the music industry.

Designers and Contacts

Below are the Designers I intend to contact, all of which have worked significantly in the music industry in various different formats.

- Richard Lock of Devolution Designs - devolutiondesign@hotmail.co.uk
- Jeri Heiden - mail@smogdesign.com
- Brian Cannon - bjcannon66@hotmail.com
- Rob Dobi - robdobi@gmail.com
- Dan Mumford - dan@dan-mumford.com   
- Jimmy (Heartcore) Breen - hello@jimmybreen.com
- Justin Ryan - justin@justinryan.org
- Peter Saville - mail@petersavillestudio.com
- Aubrey Powell - hipgnosispo@googlemail.com
- Eric Nyffeler - eric@doe-eyed.com     


Sent Email and Interview Questions

This is the template of the email I sent to the designers above, I hoed that this range of questions would help me gather the relevant information I needed as well as keep them simple enough that the designers can answer it quickly which will hopefully encourage responses.


I am currently a 3rd year degree student at Leeds College of Art studying Graphic design,
Like any degree we are expected to complete a dissertation and I was just wondering if you could help me out massively and briefly answer the questions I have provided below. I would really appreciate any responses given and would be eternally grateful.
My dissertation topic is about the role of a graphic designer in the music industry and as you have had some pretty impressive experience in this field I would love to hear your opinions on the matter.



- What products are you most commonly employed to design for a client in the music industry? (e.g. album covers, websites, promotional materials etc..)

- In your experience, has the development of digital media effected the way designers work in the music industry? (less printed elements? less creative freedom? more standardization?)

- Do you think that the increased popularity of commercial music on a global scale has negatively or positively effected a designers role in the music industry?

- Do you believe that a strong visual brand is more important for a band / artist than actual musical talent in today's pop music industry and why?

- Do you find that you use a wide variety of techniques and skills to produce unique visuals for each artist you work with or are you commonly asked to re produce previous styles?

- In terms of the popular music industry, where do you see the role of a designer going in the future and why?


Thankyou again for your time and I hope you have a beautiful Christmas and New Year.
Michael Scott

 

No comments:

Post a Comment